Welcome to Your internet class for the week of February 16. Please perform the tasks listed on your course outline.
For your Attendance: (The following IS required!)
After reading the chapter, write two paragraphs in this blog summarizing the information you learned. Please note any information you need convered in the lecture when you return to the classroom.
In a third paragraph, specify how you will update your home page to reflect the information you learned.
Thursday, February 12, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Oh Boy! Chapter 4 starts on page 199 and goes to page 270. That's 72 pages! So I had better start working now!
ReplyDeleteThis is my 3rd try for a comment. I hate Blogs!
ReplyDeleteChapter 3 had a few problems, but I fixed the appearance to match the book (Farm and Crypto) by changing the values of some of the specification "they" told us to use. If it looks right, it is right! Quack, Quack.
I've skimmed Chapter 4, and it really shouldn't be too bad, we have 2 weeks. When I finish I should have also prettied up my 'Web I' home page and added a link to the Model Railroad (MRR) club that I built with Yahoo sitebuilder when I had no idea what I was doing!
I forgot to say something else... I only put in a link for Holidays in the farm home page, but the holidays page can jump to the other pages (maze, etc.). Therefore, to go from the maze page to the holidays (santa) page, you have to go to the home page. That is not an ommission, that is a design "feature".
ReplyDelete(1) Once again we are tied to a piece of paper (even a screen is liken to a piece of paper) and going deeper into the CSS world. The site/chapter organization appears not too complicated in the beginning. But then it becomes more complex with the application of styles, and conditional situations of when to apply styles. And more on lists with another attribute “class”. But to make things more complicated we move into a pseudo-world of classes and elements. The thing that caught my eye was “rollover”. I thought soemthing would roll over and fly away, but it's mouse stuff. But my mouse does not roll over and lay on its back (like we used to do at work to show tech support that our terminal was "dead"). Its when the mouse rolls over a link, but my mouse doesn't have wheels- it does a slideover. Now the language has changed. Again your mouse can “hover”… I’ve never seen a mouse hover. Maybe we should call our mice “cats”.
ReplyDelete(2) Then we have more sections on page layout. Which I think is very important. I want to find information quickly so if the layout is good I’m happy. OK, more rollover and pseaudo stuff. Then the evils of non-standardization – nobody has the same screen. I hate that. My poor eyesite really meets a challenge on my wife’s ipod (they should call it an eyepod and supply binocular lenses like I use in my hobby). The interfacing with different display devices will be a challenge to test. The same thing will happen when we get to different printers.
(3) I'm not sure at this point what damage I will do to my home page; there are so many possibilities even now, early in the course. I'm thinking about reorganizing the buttons so the home page has chapter choices. The other sections for each chapter will emanate from those (parents and children). Only a member of the class will understand it. Also I would like to experimant will sticking in some of my graphics and see what I can do with that. Plus for fun I'll throw in a link to the MRR web site I made and start making changes on that with features I have learned from this class and you can watch the changes as we move from "Yahoo Site-Builder" to "Warner Site-Builder". That should be scarey!
Tutorial 0.4 I had learned a lot about flexibility of CSS. I had no idea that CSS would be so complicated, from different selector patterns to styles with different positions and layouts. I am still lost in Pseudo classes and elements, some how my tutorial file have glitches; it shows ne thing but not the other and so on. Cant really play with my positionnig demo, left and top boxes wont let me input the coordinates.
ReplyDeleteI like overflow and clipping they make the web site little bit more manageble. They help to display large ammounts of information on a small page and show only a sertain part of an image, which is good for custom images.
I have not desided on my webbpage, it seems that each tutorial hold so much information,that every time I want to make a change I learn something new that I want to use. I want to have a simple webbsite with some decoration, but if I use everything I had learned it will just complicate things.
I REALLY like CSS, but found it extremely complicated. I had some trouble figuring out in which # line to place some of the style elements, but finally got there through trial and error. I like that you can have a separate style sheet for printed elements and it seems to save time to put all the style stuff in one place, rather than having to code each line. I'm still a little confused over how to make sites most user-friendly for people using all kinds of different browsers; maybe that's something that could be covered in our next lecture?
ReplyDeleteWith the style sheets, I finally understand the div stuff better and I like the class elements. I also like the link hover-over options we learned in this chapter.
The idea of CSS solved some problems I'd been having with positioning different elements on my Web page. I also plan to alter my links to take advantage of the stuff learned in this chapter, and to make some print style sheets to use for different sections of my Web page.
I really like this lesson because I myself like to scrapbook. I learned how to do special effects with notes in a css. How you can overflow the notes if they run long. I also learned how to put graphic markers around a certain lists. I had an issue with when in the beginning when i first opened the start.htm file and its supposed to look like the one in the book but mine doesn't look anything like that it doesn't have the background. Also none of my colors in my texts changed so i will have to go back and see if i made any mistakes.
ReplyDeleteI'm mostly done with the tutorial and I find css can be really complicated. It seems to be able to work easily, but there is just an enormous amount of material that you can change your web page to whatever it is you want. It's hard to remember all the codes and I have to constantly check the book and past assignments but all is good in the end. I can't imagine future chapters, as this is already complex.
ReplyDeleteDesigning web pages is getting more complicated all the time. I was able to complete the tutorial, but forgetting information as quickly as I completed it. I can only hope that I am not the only one who has a hard time answering the quick check questions at the end of each section without going back to look up the answers.
ReplyDeleteThe area where I had the most problems in is the print style sheets. I have a hard time distinguishing left and right pages from page 1 & 2. Also on my final printout the bottom of the page has the name of the file I printed along with the date I printed it contrary to the photo on page 254.
As far as how I would use this on my page, I can see endless possibilities. Most important, however, is that when I have printed things off the web I rarely get a nice readable document. I don't think most web sites apply print style sheets and I definitely will. I can see that designing my page for handheld devices is VERY important also.
Prof. Sutton. I'm having some trouble with relative positioning. I get the absolute positioning fine, but for some reason I can't get relative to work right. Is that a problem anyone else is having, or that maybe you could address next week in your lecture again? Thanks.
ReplyDeleteChapter IV deals with the use of Cascading Style Sheets to make layouts and designs. We learned how to create and apply certain desing styles by making use of a variety of CSS selectors with Web author flexibility.
ReplyDeleteWe also learned how to apply style to unordered lists and how to create rollover effects and drop caps. In adittion, we saw how to use positioning to locate elements in absolute and relative coordinates and finally, we concentrated on creating styles for printed output that has to do with other type of media - not computer screens - by making use of page flow with printed material in order to control the placement of page breaks.
In section 1 we learned how to, using a style sheet, designate specific segments of code to be affected by a style such as making and underline portions of a paragraph a different color and how to change the appearances of lists. We learned how to use classes to ID specific elements and edit the style of the classes. We learned how to use pseudo-classes to edit the appearance of links before they've been use, while the mouse is overtop the link, and after the link has be used.
ReplyDeleteIn section 2 we learned how to move objects such as captions around on the page as well as adjust the appearance of the caption's size, how it's displayed, and how to limit the width and height of an element. In section 3 we learned how to adjust out pages for different medias and how the pages will appear when they are printed.
I'm not sure how much the new material will be of use in my web page. The pseudo-classes and pseudo-elements might be useful if I finally decide to separate the different chapters so they will each have their own web page and have a list of the chapters and the contents of the chapters on the side.
Wow, this was quite overwhelming...there was so much stuff covered. We learned how to change links around and create rollovers. We learned how to position text boxes on a page and we learned how to create hard-copy print stylings. We also learned how to format the pages for various output devices like projectors, tv's and aural monitors.
ReplyDeleteI am unsure how I want to incorporate this into my own page. Like I said, I am a bit overwhelmed. I do not know what direction I want to take my page to. I guess that I will have to think about it a bit more and put down ideas on paper.
If you have not looked at Laura's page yet, you should. It looks great!
I have learned a lot more about css. I enjoyed learning about the scrapbooks and different placements of the display css. I enjoyed learning about adding notes to the pages.
ReplyDeleteI also learned about adding the separation of list and making new list which helps to separate my categories. And I learned to add to box lists in, with markers for each list.
I will add these features to my homepage, in time. And hope to make my homepage a bit more official looking.And add the things ive learned.
At this point I've completed the tutorial 4 (not the case or review). Overall it seem's like we're getting more and more specific with the special effects we can create using CSS.
ReplyDeleteOne item of note that stood out to me was positioning. I can see how using positioning would definitely effect the layout and thus, the effectiveness of your page. The section that I'd say that kind of confused me was the section on different media.
As far as my personal page is concerned, I'm not really sure what I want on my page, but I know I really need to work with some embedded CSS. I'll play with it a bit and see how it turns out. I dont have a solid subject to center my page around yet (other than the homework assignments).
Cedric McMillon
Wow, there sure is a lot of stuff to learn about CSS! I thought the absolute positioning was pretty cool and seemed like it would be very useful in getting a page to look exactly how you want it to. However, it seems like it would take a while to get stuff where you wanted it because of there being so many different cords but maybe I just don't know how to find cords easy or something.
ReplyDeleteThen there was the media styles which seemed useful for a lot of different stuff. Being able to set up a page to print out only the important info on it, is pretty cool.
I'm probably gonna use the print media to make my pages print out only the pics and text instead of the link buttons. Also I'll probably use absolute positioning if i can figure out the cords I'll need for it.
Chapter 3 was one of the harder chapters of the semester, and chapter 4 wasn't much easier however I have almost completed my chapter 4 tutorial. I had no idea how customizable web pages could be just using HTML, however I am finding it very enjoyable learning all of this new information.
ReplyDeleteThe process of positioning seems to play a large roll in the view of your web page and I can see how it is a good factor when designing a web site. It makes the page look a little more abstract and interactive. I also enjoyed learning about link rollovers. That is a feature I have seen on many web pages.
I will be incorporating the rollover and the positioning with my navigation bar. I'm not sure exactly how yet, but I think it will make for a good navigation bar. I have not yet figured out how I'm going to incorporate other forms of media.
CSS definitely cleans up and organizes the styles very well. It's nice having all the styling together, rather than spread throughout the pages. It's nicer in many ways than frames, and makes things easy to use in multiple pages at once.
ReplyDeleteIt is also nicer using what we've learned in these lessons with CSS to do things with labeling in pictures and positioning things in different places. It's a much more precise and predictable method vs using tables.
I'm not sure how much use any of this will be on my page, but the general use of CSS will help with uniformly formatting multiple pages using the same styling. I may impliment the printing related styling, though I doubt there will be any parts of my page that truly need it.
In chapter 4 we learned to use various different elements like scrapbooks, different selectors, and other styles in CSS. It showed how to layout and position lists also.
ReplyDeleteWe also learned how to work with classes and applying styles to them. We learned to stack and hide elements and clip them to whatever you want from that particular element.
I am not sure quite what I am going to use from this chapter in my website but I am sure a few things will be used at least.
In chapter 4 I lerned a lot of new tags in CSS.I didn't know that CSS can be that useful. After this chapter I realized that CSS is a "design language" of your web page.I'm really sure if I'll make a web page I'll use CSS.
ReplyDeleteIn this chapter I learned a lot of different things in CSS. There was so much covered in this chapter from learning about appyling styles, hide elements, positioning and ect. It was quite overwhelming about learning all this stuff but I am enjoying it.
ReplyDeleteAs for my webpage I'm not sure how I am I going to put this into it.