Thursday, April 9, 2009

Tutorial 9: April 14- April 21

Summarize in your own words the information you learned in Tutorial 9. Were any areas troublesome for you? If so, how did you resolve? How will you use the information from this Chapter on your home page?

25 comments:

  1. This section requires a lot more technical level reading. There are lots of new rules imposed by the newer languages and they are started to do more syntax checking, which I like. The validation service has the same attitude as the old "lint" C-checker in UNIX.

    With almost zero experience in real life (I recently modified some code for a web site that was originally written by a professional) I would like to set the goal that any code that passes thru me will be in "strict" compliance. It is always easier to write your code like that in the beginning than to modify it later. I have seen too many pieces of code written under the guise "this is only a one-shot deal" live on forever with many modifications!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Chris Rizzi found the entire chapter filled with a lot of confusing information. If I were to use this information it would be to fine tune errors that I may have made in my homepage or future webpages. One part that I do not understand is when the review assignment tells us to be sure to use a particular CGI script when running a validation test. I still have not resolved this issue.

    ReplyDelete
  3. In this chapter, I had learned how to validate the web sites and using a namespace.
    At the beggining of a review exercise I was hopelesly lost, however by reading over the chapter and the Cascading Style Sheets Apendix(on the back of the book), I saw the light.
    Now, I am going to validate my home page!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've done this before with "lint" for C code and the FORTRAN checker for FORTRAN code. I also was responsible for, in a former life, the C-standards checker which checked the C-compiler. Once a checker gets confused things can really go haywire!

    The best thing, if you are overwhelmed by the number of comments, is fix the first problem and then run it through again. After a few years you might be able to fix 2 problems at a time!

    I noticed on page 526 that you are supposed to edit "wsstxt.css" and save it as "wss.css"... the code in "works.htm" references the style sheet "wsstxt.css" instead of "wss.css". I got caught on that because I remove the original "txt" files to another directory. On first try I didn't have the page like that on page 552, but I recognized the problem in that it must be a style sheet problem. A tiny little bit of experience is beginning to pay off!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm signing on... little late... busy finishing Tutorial 9/Case 1 nothing to say... Tutorial 9 is easy. Where is everybody?

    ReplyDelete
  6. In tutorial 9 we basically learnt how to create and work with XHTML documents. We learnt about different DTDs that XHTML uses. We also saw XML prolog and DOCTYPE declarations as well as XHTML namespace. We saw how to create combined documents by using XHTML with other XML languages. Finally, we learnt how to use an online validator to test a document for well-formdness and validity.

    The problem I had was at the end of the tutorial: the final page did not look the way it was supposed to but realized that the problem was with the style sheet and I changed to the new file name.

    I will use the information in this chapter for my homepage to validate it and to check that it is well-formed.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy Tax Day Everyone! I hope that you all have yours done...and that it wasn't too painful.

    This week we learned about the different flavors of XML. I got through the tutorial all right...Had the same problem the others did with the css sheet. Amazing how we start to overlook that at the begining of the tutorial now LOL!

    I am unsure how I am going to incorporate this into my site. Maybe I will get lucky and be able to use the frameset DTD. I'm just not sure that it supports the target attribute. I may just have to make one page and get that to comply. I have a feeling I may bite off more than I can chew - again!

    ReplyDelete
  8. OMG! I did it!! The review at least! Mr. Rizzi - look at the appendix a little bit. I think that you will see what to do with that url (and hit your head with your hand like I did when you realize what you need to do with it!)

    It is amazing how it is only simple little changes that have to be made...I was over thinking everything! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've finished and posted it to the ftp server. I couln't get it to work with the lines of code for the validator, so I just commented those lines out (they will be there for another validation).

    Also I added and id="W3C_Validation" attribute to the code for the validation symbol. In the stylesheet I position it where I want it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. We learned how to change pages into/make Xhtml pages. I'll probally use it to make sure my code for my webpage is for the 1.0 strict version, but not sure yet.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I decided to go back and try again after reading blogs. The css hint helped a lot. One by one my errors started to dissapate.I found using expressions both helpful and not so helpful. Helpful that it gives you the line number to make the correction but not so helpful because it tells you that your correction is either wrong or unnecessary, primarily with closing tags.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  13. CH 9 taught us about doc types and validations among other things. It's a short chapter, but it is a little confusing but I didn't find it too difficult as it is all in the chapter.

    ReplyDelete
  14. CH 9 is about working with XHTML and XHTML documents.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow. I had a really hard time with this one. Seems strange to me we learned a lot of "wrong" ways to do things, then got the chapter that tells us how to "right" all the "wrongs." I guess it makes sense, though, because things change so quickly.
    I like the validator, and being able to have the program tell me where there are bugs in the code.
    To be honest, I had to look at some others' code to figure out where some of my problems were at first. Once I got the hang of it all, though, it started to make sense.
    I got all the chapter work done but have yet to validate my home page. Will try to get to that tomorrow.
    Meanwhile, though this doesn't really have anything to do with class, in my attempts to remain relevant in my field, I shot and edited and posted on the FLS website my very first multimedia project (digital video.) If anyone wants to see it, it's at http://fredericksburg.com/News/Web/2009/042009/0419weaving

    ReplyDelete
  16. Tutorial 9 we learned about the different types of XML. This Chapter was pretty easy compared to some in the past. I didn't really have to many problems, except with I went to FTP it. It would load on my computer but when I tried it from the website it wouldn't but I figured it out.

    I'm still not to sure how I will incorpate this into my webpage. I guess I will use it to make sure it is validated and is well-formed.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Chapter 9 was all about xml and xhtml. Then using the w3c to validate your code to make sure it adheres to the required standards. The w3c validation site is a great tool for fixing any errors you make on a website. The classwork and case 1 for Chapter 9 were pretty straight forward and just required a lot of reading and re-reading but the review had me stumped for a few days. After leaving it alone then coming back with a fresh set of eyes and the appendix in the back of the book I managed to get it right I think. Maybe I should have read the blog before I tried to fix it because Cindy's post helped me find my fix. Thanks Cindy.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Chapter 9 was interesting. It taught about using XML and XHTML. I have finished up almost all of the work for this chapter, and am ready to submit. Didn't really have many problems with this chapter to report on.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Chapter 9 was about XML, HTML, and error checking and validation. Using tools to validate the page, and making sure of compliance with rules. It seems kindof useless to me honestly, but I guess I can use the information to reduce errors and validate when doing my page.

    ReplyDelete
  20. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  21. have to agree with one of the above post...seems like the validation "corrected" alot of things we were taught in earlier chapters... Initially it took me awhile to understand what exactly they wanted me to fix what eventually I got the hang of what they were looking for. I did find it interesting that sometimes one change can eliminate multiple errors...

    Cedric McMillon

    ReplyDelete
  22. Chapter 9 is dedicated to working with different document (html and Xhtml). The validator was a cool technique. I didn't find this chapter to troublesome.

    ReplyDelete
  23. In chapter 9 we learned about XML and XHTML and how to validate sites. I didn't have any big problems with this chapter. I am not sure how I am going to incorporate this into my site

    ReplyDelete
  24. In case you publish your tutorial 9 and then try to check it by double-clicking on the HTM file (e.g., works.htm), you will get an error comment like this:

    The XML page cannot be displayed
    Cannot view XML input using style sheet. Please correct the error and then click the Refresh button, or try again later.


    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

    The server did not understand the request, or the request was invalid. Error processing resource 'http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtm...

    But if you do the same thing on your computer (double-clicking the works.htm file like I do) it will probably work! (That's how you know you were finished with the homework!)

    What's wrong?.... Well, after many hours of fiddling... I have the answer... or at least I know what to do to get it to work --- read on...

    Start at your home page and click on down to your tutorial page and it will probably work... We (James, from IT support, and I) think it is probably the server set up that accumulates information, so by the time it gets down to the ("offending") page, your beautiful fireworks page, it works just fine.

    So, the final word of wisdom is that after you publish your homework and want to test the published site... start at your home page.

    ReplyDelete
  25. In chapter 9 we learn how to use and make xml xhtml webpages. We also learn how to validate these pages.Im am not sure how I will use this on my home page yet.

    ReplyDelete